Physical activity and medication in the control of blood pressure: secondary analysis of the Brazilian national health research

Geriatrics, Gerontology and Aging

Endereço:
Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana,500 - 609 - Copacabana
Rio de Janeiro / RJ
22020001
Site: http://ggaging.com
Telefone: (21) 2285-8115
ISSN: 2447-2123
Editor Chefe: Roberto Alves Lourenço
Início Publicação: 10/10/2007
Periodicidade: Trimestral
Área de Estudo: Educação física, Área de Estudo: Enfermagem, Área de Estudo: Farmácia, Área de Estudo: Fisioterapia e terapia ocupacional, Área de Estudo: Fonoaudiologia, Área de Estudo: Medicina, Área de Estudo: Nutrição, Área de Estudo: Odontologia, Área de Estudo: Saúde coletiva, Área de Estudo: Serviço social, Área de Estudo: Multidisciplinar

Physical activity and medication in the control of blood pressure: secondary analysis of the Brazilian national health research

Ano: 2020 | Volume: 14 | Número: 1
Autores: Clarissa Biehl Printes; Fabiane de Oliveira Brauner; Ângelo José Gonçalves Bós
Autor Correspondente: F.O. Brauner | [email protected]

Palavras-chave: physical exercise; population; arterial pressure.

Resumos Cadastrados

Resumo Inglês:

AIM: To test the effectiveness of different physical activities (PA) in controlling blood pressure. The dependent variable was controlled and uncontrolled blood pressure (BP).
METHODS: This is a secondary analysis of a cross-sectional, observational, descriptive and analytical study from the Brazilian National Health Research (PNS) database. The PNS was conducted by the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) in 2013, in partnership with the Ministry of Health. Total PA was calculated in minutes per week (MPS) with the sum of 3 activities, physical exercise, time spent walking to work, and heavy work activity. Sociodemographic variables and the use of hypertension medications were analyzed as possible associated factors.
RESULTS: The chances of having controlled BP were calculated by logistic regression. Among the 10199 participants aged 40 years and older, who reported hypertension, 5398 (53%) had controlled BP, being higher among the women (56%), within the age range of 40-59 years-old (56%), and on medication for hypertension (54%). The controlled-BP group performed 64 ± 146.1 MPW of PA while the uncontrolled-BP spent 46 ± 150.7 MPW in PA (p < 0.001). Work activity was also higher among the controlled-BP group (p = 0.019). Participants who performed total PA between 90-149 MPW had 21% higher odds of controlled-BP (p = 0.024) and those who performed 150 MPW or more, 22% (p = 0.001). Medication increased the chance of BP control by 18% (p = 0.003). The odds of having controlled-BP were higher in physical exercise: 42% on 90-149 MPW (p = 0.001) and 40% on 150 MPW or more (p < 0.001).
CONCLUSION: Physical exercise was significantly associated with better BP control than just total PA. Both exercise and total physical activity were significantly associated with better BP control than medication.